What Does Samantha Imply?
You may’t go unsuitable with an American basic identify like Samantha on your child lady.
Nevertheless, the origin of the identify just isn’t clear. It could have originated in America within the 18th century as a mixture of the Hebrew identify Samuel, which means “God has heard” or “identify of God”, and the Greek phrase Anthea, which means “flower” or “blossom.”
The widespread which means typically given to the identify is that of the female type of the identify Samuel. Based on one other principle, it is also the English type of the Dutch identify Sijmentje which has derived from the Germanic identify Sigismund, which means “victory” (sigi) and “safety or protection” (mund).
- Origin: Samantha is of unknown origin, which means “identify of God,” “God has heard,” “flower,” “blossom”
- Gender: Samantha is usually used as a lady identify.
- Pronunciation: suh-man-thuh
Though many child names are separated by gender, Verywell Household believes that intercourse doesn’t have to play a job in your identify choice course of. It’s vital to pick a reputation that you simply really feel fits your new child the perfect.
How Standard Is the Title Samantha?
The identify Samantha has been in use in the USA for the reason that 1800s and was first recorded in 1880 at No. 365 within the Social Safety Administration database.
The identify dropped in recognition by 1900, rating at No. 701, in keeping with the Social Safety Administration 2020 knowledge. It continued to say no till 1958, simply skimming the underside of the High 1000 names at No.999, till it disappeared fully from the rankings, solely to look in 1964 at No. 464.
This enhance in recognition coincided with the TV present “Bewitched” that includes its lead character, the nose-twitching “witch”, Samantha Stephens. The present ran for eight years and in these years the identify had reached No.137 by 1972. In 1976, it entered the High 100 names and by 1988 it featured within the High 10 names the place it stayed until 2006.
The preferred 12 months for the identify was 1998, the place it sat at No. 3. In 2017, it dropped to No. 54 and in 2020 it was ranked at No. 90
The next are variations of the identify Samantha:
- Samana (Sanskrit)
- Samanta (Italian, Latvian, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish)
- Samanthi (English)
- Simantha (English)
- Symantha (English)
Related sounding names to Samantha:
Different lady names beginning with S:
- Summer time
There are a wealth of nicknames that may be derived from the identify Samantha:
Prompt Sibling Names
Searching for a sibling identify for Samantha? Listed here are some widespread choices:
Well-known Individuals Named Samantha
Some notable individuals who share the identify Samantha are:
- Samantha Arsenault, American competitors swimmer, and Olympic champion.
- Samantha Cameron, English businesswoman whose husband is the previous British prime minister, David Cameron.
- Samantha Fox, English singer, and former mannequin finest recognized for the highest hit single “Contact Me.”
- Samantha Harris, American tv presenter and actress referred to as the co-host of the TV present “Dancing with the Stars.”
- Samantha Morton, award-winning English actress and director recognized for lead roles within the “Emma,” “Jane Eyre,” and “Underneath the Pores and skin.”
- Samantha Munro, Canadian actress recognized for her function within the teen drama TV collection, “Degrassi: The Subsequent Era. “
- Samantha Stosur, Australian skilled tennis participant and former world No.1 in doubles.
- Samantha Womack, English movie tv and stage actress, singer, and director, finest recognized for her function within the British cleaning soap “EastEnders.”
- Samantha “Sam” Carter, a fictional character performed by Amanda Tapping within the “Stargate” franchise of TV collection and flicks.
- Samantha “Sam” Micelli, a personality performed by Alyssa Milano on the TV present “Who’s the Boss?”
- Samantha Baker, lead character within the movie “Sixteen Candles” performed by Molly Ringwald.
- Samantha Jones, one of many primary characters within the TV present “Intercourse and the Metropolis,” performed by Kim Cattrall.
- Samantha Tracy Lord, primary character within the musical comedy movie “Excessive Society,” performed by Grace Kelly.
Social Safety Administration. Standard names in 1880.
Social Safety Administration. Reputation of identify Samantha.
Thanks on your suggestions!
What’s your suggestions?