© 2015 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.
The vagina is an elastic, muscular canal with a comfortable, versatile lining that gives lubrication and sensation. The vagina connects the uterus to the surface world. The vulva and labia type the doorway, and the cervix of the uterus protrudes into the vagina, forming the inside finish.
The vagina receives the penis throughout sexual activity and likewise serves as a conduit for menstrual move from the uterus. Throughout childbirth, the infant passes by means of the vagina (delivery canal).
The hymen is a skinny membrane of tissue that surrounds and narrows the vaginal opening. It might be torn or ruptured by sexual exercise or by train.
- Vaginitis: Irritation of the vagina, generally from a yeast an infection or bacterial overgrowth. Itching, discharge, and alter of odor are typical signs. Vaginitis is handled with antibiotics or antifungal medicine.
- Vaginismus: Involuntary spasm of the vaginal muscle groups throughout sexual activity. Emotional misery about intercourse, or medical situations, could be accountable. Relying on the trigger, it may be handled with drugs, counseling or another kinds of remedy.
- Genital warts: Genital warts might have an effect on the vulva,vagina, and cervix. Therapies can take away vaginal warts, that are brought on by human papillomavirus (HPV).
- Trichomoniasis: An infection of the vagina by a microscopic parasite known as trichomonas. Trichomoniasis is transmitted by intercourse and is well curable.
- Bacterial vaginosis (BV): A disruption within the stability of wholesome micro organism within the vagina, usually inflicting odor and discharge. Douching, or intercourse with a brand new associate could cause BV. BV is handled with antibiotics.
- Herpes simplex virus (HSV): The herpes virus can infect the vulva, vagina, and cervix, inflicting small, painful, recurring blisters and ulcers. Having no noticeable signs can be widespread. The virus is transmitted sexually. It may be handled, however not cured.
- Gonorrhea: This sexually transmitted bacterial an infection most frequently infects the cervix. Half the time, there aren’t any signs, however vaginal discharge and itching might happen. It might trigger pelvic inflammatory illness and infertility. It’s handled with antibiotics.
- Chlamydia: The bacterium Chlamydia trachomatis causes this sexually transmitted an infection. Solely half of ladies can have signs, which can embrace vaginal discharge or ache within the vagina or stomach. It might trigger pelvic inflammatory illness and infertility. Chlamydia is handled with antibiotics.
- Vaginal most cancers: Most cancers of the vagina is extraordinarily uncommon. Irregular vaginal bleeding or discharge are signs.
- Vaginal prolapse: As a result of weakened pelvic muscle groups (often from childbirth), the rectum, uterus, or bladder pushes on the vagina. In extreme instances, the vagina protrudes out of the physique.