© 2014 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.
The tongue is a muscular organ within the mouth. The tongue is roofed with moist, pink tissue referred to as mucosa. Tiny bumps referred to as papillae give the tongue its tough texture. Hundreds of style buds cowl the surfaces of the papillae. Style buds are collections of nerve-like cells that connect with nerves operating into the mind.
The tongue is anchored to the mouth by webs of powerful tissue and mucosa. The tether holding down the entrance of the tongue known as the frenum. At the back of the mouth, the tongue is anchored into the hyoid bone. The tongue is significant for chewing and swallowing meals, in addition to for speech.
The 4 widespread tastes are candy, bitter, bitter, and salty. A fifth style, referred to as umami, outcomes from tasting glutamate (current in MSG). The tongue has many nerves that assist detect and transmit style alerts to the mind. Due to this, all components of the tongue can detect these 4 widespread tastes; the generally described “style map” of the tongue doesn’t actually exist.
- Thrush (candidiasis): Candida albicans (a yeast) grows over the floor of the mouth and tongue. Thrush can happen in virtually anybody, however it happens extra typically in individuals taking steroids or with suppressed immune methods, the very younger, and the aged.
- Oral most cancers: A development or ulcer seems on the tongue and grows steadily. Oral most cancers is extra widespread in individuals who smoke and/or drink alcohol closely.
- Macroglossia (massive tongue): This may be damaged down into numerous classes primarily based on the trigger. These embrace congenital, inflammatory, traumatic, cancerous, and metabolic causes. Thyroid illness, lymphangiomas, and congenital abnormalities are amongst a few of the causes of an enlarged tongue.
- Geographic tongue: Ridges and coloured spots migrate over the floor of the tongue, periodically altering its look. Geographic tongue is a innocent situation.
- Burning mouth/burning tongue syndrome: a comparatively widespread drawback. The tongue feels burned or scalded, or unusual tastes or sensations develop. Apparently innocent, burning mouth syndrome could also be attributable to a gentle nerve drawback.
- Atrophic glossitis (bald tongue): The tongue loses its bumpy texture, turning into easy. Typically this is because of anemia or a B vitamin deficiency.
- Canker sores (aphthous ulcers): Small, painful ulcers seem periodically on the tongue or mouth. A comparatively widespread situation, the reason for canker sores is unknown; they’re unrelated to the chilly sores attributable to herpes viruses. Canker sores will not be contagious.
- Oral leukoplakia: White patches seem on the tongue that may’t be scraped off. Leukoplakia could also be benign, or it might progress to oral most cancers.
- Furry tongue: Papillae can overgrow the floor of the tongue, giving it a white or black look. Scraping off the papillae corrects this innocent situation.
- Herpes stomatitis: The herpes virus can uncommonly trigger chilly sores on the tongue. Herpes virus chilly sores are normally on the lip.
- Lichen planus: A innocent situation that may have an effect on the pores and skin or the mouth. The trigger is unknown; nonetheless, it’s believed to be attributable to the immune system attacking the pores and skin and lining of the mouth.