© 2009 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.
The abdomen is a muscular organ situated on the left aspect of the higher stomach. The abdomen receives meals from the esophagus. As meals reaches the tip of the esophagus, it enters the abdomen by a muscular valve referred to as the decrease esophageal sphincter.
The abdomen secretes acid and enzymes that digest meals. Ridges of muscle tissue referred to as rugae line the abdomen. The abdomen muscle groups contract periodically, churning meals to boost digestion. The pyloric sphincter is a muscular valve that opens to permit meals to move from the abdomen to the small gut.
- Gastroesophageal reflux: Abdomen contents, together with acid, can journey backward up the esophagus. There could also be no signs, or reflux might trigger heartburn or coughing.
- Gastroesophageal reflux illness (GERD): When signs of reflux develop into bothersome or happen regularly, they’re referred to as GERD. Sometimes, GERD may cause critical issues of the esophagus.
- Dyspepsia: One other title for abdomen upset or indigestion. Dyspepsia could also be attributable to virtually any benign or critical situation that impacts the abdomen.
- Gastric ulcer (abdomen ulcer): An erosion within the lining of the abdomen, usually inflicting ache and/or bleeding. Gastric ulcers are most frequently attributable to NSAIDs or H. pylori an infection.
- Peptic ulcer illness: Docs contemplate ulcers in both the abdomen or the duodenum (the primary a part of the small gut) peptic ulcer illness.
- Gastritis: Irritation of the abdomen, usually inflicting nausea and/or ache. Gastritis could be attributable to alcohol, sure drugs, H. pylori an infection, or different components.
- Abdomen most cancers: Gastric most cancers is an unusual type of most cancers within the U.S. Adenocarcinoma and lymphoma make up many of the circumstances of abdomen most cancers.
- Zollinger-Ellison syndrome (ZES): A number of tumors that secrete hormones that result in elevated acid manufacturing. Extreme GERD and peptic ulcer illness outcome from this uncommon dysfunction.
- Gastric varices: In folks with extreme liver illness, veins within the abdomen might swell and bulge beneath elevated stress. Known as varices, these veins are at excessive danger for bleeding, though much less so than esophageal varices are.
- Abdomen bleeding: Gastritis, ulcers, or gastric cancers might bleed. Seeing blood or black materials in vomit or stool is normally a medical emergency.
- Gastroparesis (delayed gastric emptying): Nerve harm from diabetes or different circumstances might impair the abdomen’s muscle contractions. Nausea and vomiting are the same old signs.