What Is Dragon Fruit?
Dragon fruit is a meals that grows on a climbing cactus known as hylocereus, which you will discover in tropical areas around the globe. The plant’s title comes from the Greek phrase “hyle,” which implies “woody,” and the Latin phrase “cereus,” which implies “waxen.”
On the skin, the fruit has the looks of a sizzling pink or yellow bulb with spike-like inexperienced leaves capturing up like flames round it. Lower it open, and you will find fleshy white stuff inside dotted with black seeds which might be OK to eat.
This fruit is available in red- and yellow-skinned varieties. The cactus initially grew in southern Mexico and South and Central America. The French introduced it to Southeast Asia within the early nineteenth century.
Central People name it “pitaya.” In Asia, it is a “strawberry pear.” At present, you should buy dragon fruit all through the U.S.
Dragon fruit is juicy with a barely candy style that some describe as a cross between a kiwi, a pear, and a watermelon. The seeds have a nutty taste.
Dragon Fruit Diet
In a single 6-ounce serving of dragon fruit cubes, you will get:
- Energy: 102
- Fats: 0 grams
- Protein: 2 grams
- Carbohydrates: 22 grams
- Fiber: 5 grams
- Sugars: 13 grams
You may additionally get these nutritional vitamins and minerals:
Dragon Fruit Well being Advantages
Dragon fruit has many potential well being advantages, together with:
- It’s wealthy in antioxidants like flavonoids, phenolic acid, and betacyanin. These pure substances shield your cells from injury by free radicals — molecules that may result in ailments like most cancers and untimely growing old.
- It’s naturally fat-free and excessive in fiber. It makes for a very good snack as a result of it will probably assist maintain you full for longer between meals.
- It might assist decrease your blood sugar. Researchers say this is perhaps partly as a result of it replaces broken cells in your pancreas that make insulin, the hormone that helps your physique break down sugar. However the research have been accomplished on mice, not individuals. It is unclear simply how a lot dragon fruit you’d should eat to get these advantages.
- It incorporates prebiotics, that are meals that feed the wholesome micro organism known as probiotics in your intestine. Having extra prebiotics in your system can enhance the steadiness of fine to unhealthy micro organism in your intestines. Particularly, dragon fruit encourages the expansion of the probiotics lactobacilli and bifidobacteria. In your intestine, these and different useful micro organism can kill disease-causing viruses and micro organism. Additionally they assist digest meals.
- It will probably strengthen your immune system. Dragon fruit is excessive in vitamin C and different antioxidants, that are good in your immune system.
- It will probably increase your iron ranges. Iron is vital for shifting oxygen by your physique and providing you with vitality, and dragon fruit has iron. And the vitamin C in dragon fruit helps your physique soak up and use the iron.
Dragon Fruit Well being Dangers
Dragon fruit is mostly suitable for eating, though research have reported remoted allergic reactions. Signs embrace swelling of the tongue, hives, and vomiting. The sort of response appears to be very uncommon.
Should you eat sufficient purple dragon fruit, it would flip your pee pink or purple. This symptom appears extra alarming than it truly is. The identical factor can occur when you eat plenty of beets. Your pee ought to flip again to its regular coloration as soon as the fruit is out of your system.
Methods to Put together Dragon Fruit
Before you purchase dragon fruit, squeeze it gently. It ought to give slightly bit with out feeling too smooth or mushy. Keep away from fruit that has bruises or dry leaves — indicators that it is overripe. If it feels onerous whenever you press on it, let it ripen on the counter for a couple of days earlier than consuming.
To organize the fruit, lower it into quarters. Both peel away the pores and skin or take away the flesh with a spoon, ice cream scoop, or melon baller. Do not eat the pores and skin.
Methods to Eat Dragon Fruit
You may eat dragon fruit in a couple of methods. Toss it right into a fruit salad together with different tropical fruits like pineapple and mango. Lower it right into a salsa. Churn it into ice cream. Squeeze it into juice or water. Use it as a topping for Greek yogurt. Or freeze it and mix it right into a smoothie.
Methods to Retailer Dragon Fruit
Retailer any leftover dragon fruit in a plastic bag within the fridge for as much as 5 days. Or freeze it for as much as 3 months.
Listed below are extra methods to eat dragon fruit.