© 2014 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.
The ft are versatile buildings of bones, joints, muscle tissue, and gentle tissues that allow us stand upright and carry out actions like strolling, operating, and leaping. The ft are divided into three sections:
- The forefoot comprises the 5 toes (phalanges) and the 5 longer bones (metatarsals).
- The midfoot is a pyramid-like assortment of bones that type the arches of the ft. These embody the three cuneiform bones, the cuboid bone, and the navicular bone.
- The hindfoot types the heel and ankle. The talus bone helps the leg bones (tibia and fibula), forming the ankle. The calcaneus (heel bone) is the most important bone within the foot.
Muscle mass, tendons, and ligaments run alongside the surfaces of the ft, permitting the advanced actions wanted for movement and steadiness. The Achilles tendon connects the heel to the calf muscle and is important for operating, leaping, and standing on the toes.
- Plantar fasciitis: Irritation within the plantar fascia ligament alongside the underside of the foot. Ache within the heel and arch, worst within the morning, are signs.
- Osteoarthritis of the ft: Age and put on and tear trigger the cartilage within the ft to wear down. Ache, swelling, and deformity within the ft are signs of osteoarthritis.
- Gout: An inflammatory situation by which crystals periodically deposit in joints, inflicting extreme ache and swelling. The massive toe is commonly affected by gout.
- Athlete’s foot: A fungal an infection of the ft, inflicting dry, flaking, crimson, and irritated pores and skin. Every day washing and holding the ft dry can stop athlete’s foot.
- Rheumatoid arthritis: An autoimmune type of arthritis that causes irritation and joint harm. Joints within the ft, ankle, and toes could also be affected by rheumatoid arthritis.
- Bunions (hallux valgus): A bony prominence subsequent to the bottom of the large toe that will trigger the large toe to show inward. Bunions could happen in anybody, however are sometimes brought on by heredity or ill-fitting footwear.
- Achilles tendon damage: Ache at the back of the heel could recommend an issue with the Achilles tendon. The damage may be sudden or a nagging day by day ache (tendinitis).
- Diabetic foot an infection: Individuals with diabetes are susceptible to infections of the ft, which may be extra extreme than they seem. Individuals with diabetes ought to study their ft day by day for any damage or indicators of creating an infection corresponding to redness, heat, swelling, and ache.
- Swollen ft (edema): A small quantity of swelling within the ft may be regular after extended standing and customary in individuals with varicose veins. Toes edema can be an indication of coronary heart, kidney, or liver issues.
- Calluses: A buildup of powerful pores and skin over an space of frequent friction or stress on the ft. Calluses normally develop on the balls of the ft or the heels and could also be uncomfortable or painful.
- Corns: Like calluses, corns include extreme powerful pores and skin buildup at areas of extreme stress on the ft. Corns usually have a cone form with some extent, and may be painful.
- Heel spurs: An irregular development of bone within the heel, which can trigger extreme ache throughout strolling or standing. Individuals with plantar fasciitis, flat ft, or excessive arches usually tend to develop heel spurs.
- Ingrown toenails: One or each side of a toenail could develop into the pores and skin. Ingrown toenails could also be painful or result in infections.
- Fallen arches (flat ft): The arches of the ft flatten throughout standing or strolling, doubtlessly inflicting different ft issues. Flat ft may be corrected with shoe inserts (orthotics), if mandatory.
- Nail fungal an infection (onychomycosis): Fungus creates discoloration or a crumbling texture within the fingernails or toenails. Nail infections may be tough to deal with.
- Mallet toes: The joint in the midst of a toe could develop into unable to straighten, inflicting the toe to level down. Irritation and different ft issues could develop with out particular footwear to accommodate the mallet toe.
- Metatarsalgia: Ache and irritation within the ball of the foot. Strenuous exercise or ill-fitting footwear are the standard causes.
- Claw toes: Irregular contraction of the toe joints, inflicting a claw-like look. Claw toe may be painful and normally requires a change in footwear.
- Fracture: The metatarsal bones are probably the most ceaselessly damaged bones within the ft, both from damage or repetitive use. Ache, swelling, redness, and bruising could also be indicators of a fracture.
- Plantar wart: A viral an infection within the sole of the foot that may type a callus with a central darkish spot. Plantar warts may be painful and tough to deal with.
- Morton’s neuroma: A development consisting of nerve tissue usually between the third and fourth toes. A neuroma could trigger ache, numbness, and burning and sometimes improves with a change in footwear.