A Division of Transportation (DOT) bodily is a bodily examination that’s required of people that drive business automobiles. The purpose of a DOT bodily is to ensure that people who find themselves driving business motor automobiles are bodily, mentally, and emotionally match. The Federal Motor Provider Security Administration (FMCSA) requires them for the protection of the general public.
Who Wants a DOT Bodily?
You will want a DOT bodily in the event you:
- Drive a automobile designed to hold greater than 15 individuals.
- Are paid to drive a automobile designed to hold greater than 8 individuals.
- Carry hazardous materials in your automobile that requires your automobile to have a placard.
- Drive a automobile on the interstate with a gross mixture weight ranking, gross automobile weight ranking, or gross mixture weight of over 10,000 kilos.
What Does a DOT Bodily Include?
The well being care supplier who performs your DOT bodily will ask you detailed questions on your medical historical past, together with:
- In the event you’ve ever had surgical procedure
- Any medicines you take, together with prescription and over-the-counter medicines
- Any well being issues you have had
- In the event you use tobacco, alcohol, or unlawful substances
- In the event you’ve ever failed a drug take a look at
- In the event you’ve ever been depending on an unlawful substance
- Any signs you are at present having
You should have a hands-on bodily that features checking your:
You will additionally need to have a urinalysis to verify for protein, blood, sugar, and particular gravity. These checks can inform your physician in the event you want further checks to verify for different medical issues. You might also need to produce other checks in case your physician thinks they’re mandatory.
You might also have to have a sleep apnea take a look at when you’ve got signs of obstructive sleep apnea, which is a dysfunction the place you periodically cease respiratory whereas sleeping. Signs of sleep apnea can embody:
- Heavy loud night breathing
- Gasping for breath throughout sleep
- Dry mouth or sore throat within the morning
- Morning complications
- Daytime sleepiness
How Can You Get a DOT Bodily?
DOT Physicals can solely be carried out by well being care professionals who’re licensed by the FMCSA. You may seek for a licensed health worker right here. Licensed health workers could also be:
- Docs of drugs (MD)
- Docs of osteopathy (DO)
- Doctor assistants (PA)
- Docs of chiropractor (DC)
- Superior observe nurses (APN)
How Do You Put together for a DOT Bodily?
You may fill out the motive force’s portion of the examination at residence if you wish to save time on the day of the bodily. Additionally, you will have to deliver:
- A listing of your entire docs’ names and addresses
- A listing of your entire medicines, together with the dosage
- Your glasses, contacts, or listening to aids, in the event you use them
- A report of your blood sugar readings and your most up-to-date Hgb A1C when you’ve got diabetes
- A report out of your CPAP machine exhibiting correct use for at the very least 90 days when you’ve got sleep apnea
- A letter out of your heart specialist indicating you are secure to drive a DOT bodily when you’ve got coronary heart points
- The outcomes of latest coronary heart checks, in the event you’ve had them
- A letter out of your neurologist in the event you’ve had a stroke, a mind tumor, seizure dysfunction, or bleeding within the mind
- A letter and medical data out of your physician in the event you’re taking any medicines that may trigger sleepiness or are managed substances
- A letter out of your physician in the event you’ve misplaced everlasting use of an arm or leg, together with any work restrictions
- A letter out of your physician and a latest blood degree and clearance take a look at in the event you’re taking the blood thinner Coumadin
What Circumstances Disqualify You From Getting a DOT Card?
Circumstances that will disqualify you from passing a DOT bodily are those who intrude along with your potential to drive safely. If one thing impacts your listening to or imaginative and prescient, it may trigger you to have an accident. You additionally is probably not secure to drive when you’ve got a situation that would trigger you to lose consciousness or turn into dizzy. Such situations can embody:
A few of these situations will probably be left as much as the health worker’s judgment as as to whether to qualify you or not. You could possibly get an exemption or waiver from the FMCSA for sure situations. Generally you could be disqualified till you deliver a medical situation underneath management. If you’ll be able to resolve a disqualifying situation, you may reapply for certification.