There are not any cures for major stressed legs syndrome, or RLS, though varied therapies typically may help relieve signs. Therapy for secondary stressed legs syndrome (RLS attributable to one other medical drawback) entails treating the underlying trigger.
The First Step in Treating Stressed Legs Syndrome
The primary line of protection in opposition to stressed legs syndrome is to keep away from substances or meals that will aggrivate or worsen the issue. Keep away from alcohol, caffeine, and nicotine. This may increasingly assist relieve your signs. As well as, evaluate all drugs you take together with your physician to find out if any of those medicine could possibly be inflicting the issue.
Any underlying medical situations, reminiscent of anemia, diabetes, dietary deficiencies, kidney illness, thyroid illness, varicose veins, or Parkinson’s illness, must be handled. Dietary dietary supplements to right vitamin or mineral deficiency could also be advisable. For some individuals, these therapies are all that’s wanted to alleviate RLS signs.
You may additionally profit from bodily remedy and self-care therapies, reminiscent of stretching, taking sizzling or chilly baths, whirlpool baths, making use of sizzling or chilly packs to the affected space, limb therapeutic massage, or vibratory or electrical stimulation of the toes and toes earlier than bedtime. Train and leisure methods additionally could also be useful.
Drugs for Stressed Legs Syndrome
Each day remedy is normally advisable just for individuals who have signs of stressed legs syndrome at the least three nights per week, or as decided by your physician. Take into account that medicine used to deal with major RLS don’t remedy the situation, however solely relieve signs. Individuals whose RLS signs happen sporadically could also be prescribed remedy to take solely once they have signs.
The next drugs are probably the most extensively prescribed to deal with RLS. They could be given alone or, in sure circumstances, together. Your physician will prescribe the perfect therapy plan for you.
- Dopamine agonists: These are most frequently the primary medicines used to deal with RLS. These medicine, together with pramipexole (Mirapex), rotigotine (Neupro), and ropinirole (Requip), act just like the neurotransmitter dopamine within the mind. Unwanted side effects embody daytime sleepiness, nausea, and lightheadedness.
- Dopaminergic brokers: These medicine, together with Sinemet — a mix of levodopa and carbidopa — enhance the extent of dopamine within the mind and will enhance leg sensations in RLS. Nonetheless, they might trigger a worsening of signs for some individuals after each day use. Unwanted side effects also can embody nausea, vomiting, hallucinations, and involuntary actions (dyskinesias).
- Benzodiazepines: Benzodiazepines, reminiscent of alprazolam (Xanax), clonazepam (Klonopin), and temazepam (Restoril), are sedatives. They don’t a lot relieve signs as assist you to sleep by the signs.
- Opiates: These medicine are most frequently used to deal with ache, however they will additionally relieve RLS signs. As a result of opiates are very addictive, they’re normally used solely when different medicine do not work. Hydrocodone (Vicodin, Norco) is one instance.
- Anticonvulsants: These brokers, reminiscent of gabapentin (Neurontin) and gabapentin enacarbil (Horizant), could assist relieve the signs of RLS in addition to any persistent ache or nerve ache.