© 2014 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.
The lungs are a pair of spongy, air-filled organs situated on both aspect of the chest (thorax). The trachea (windpipe) conducts inhaled air into the lungs via its tubular branches, known as bronchi. The bronchi then divide into smaller and smaller branches (bronchioles), lastly changing into microscopic.
The bronchioles finally finish in clusters of microscopic air sacs known as alveoli. Within the alveoli, oxygen from the air is absorbed into the blood. Carbon dioxide, a waste product of metabolism, travels from the blood to the alveoli, the place it may be exhaled. Between the alveoli is a skinny layer of cells known as the interstitium, which comprises blood vessels and cells that assist help the alveoli.
The lungs are coated by a skinny tissue layer known as the pleura. The identical type of skinny tissue strains the within of the chest cavity — additionally known as pleura. A skinny layer of fluid acts as a lubricant permitting the lungs to slide easily as they increase and contract with every breath.
- Continual obstructive pulmonary illness (COPD): Harm to the lungs leads to problem blowing air out, inflicting shortness of breath. Smoking is by far the most typical explanation for COPD.
- Emphysema: A type of COPD often brought on by smoking. The delicate partitions between the lungs’ air sacs (alveoli) are broken, trapping air within the lungs and making respiration tough.
- Continual bronchitis: Repeated, frequent episodes of productive cough, often brought on by smoking. Respiration additionally turns into tough on this type of COPD.
- Pneumonia: An infection in a single or each lungs. Micro organism, particularly Streptococcus pneumoniae, are the most typical trigger, however pneumonia can also be brought on by a virus.
- Bronchial asthma: The lungs’ airways (bronchi) turn into infected and may spasm, inflicting shortness of breath and wheezing. Allergic reactions, viral infections, or air air pollution usually set off bronchial asthma signs.
- Acute bronchitis: An an infection of the lungs’ massive airways (bronchi), often brought on by a virus. Cough is the primary symptom of acute bronchitis.
- Pulmonary fibrosis: A type of interstitial lung illness. The interstitium (partitions between air sacs) turn into scarred, making the lungs stiff and inflicting shortness of breath.
- Sarcoidosis: Tiny areas of irritation can have an effect on all organs within the physique, with the lungs concerned more often than not. The signs are often gentle; sarcoidosis is often discovered when X-rays are finished for different causes.
- Weight problems hypoventilation syndrome: Further weight makes it tough to increase the chest when respiration. This will result in long-term respiration issues.
- Pleural effusion: Fluid builds up within the usually tiny area between the lung and the within of the chest wall (the pleural area). If massive, pleural effusions may cause issues with respiration.
- Pleurisy: Irritation of the liner of the lung (pleura), which frequently causes ache when inhaling. Autoimmune situations, infections, or a pulmonary embolism could trigger pleurisy.
- Bronchiectasis: The airways (bronchi) turn into infected and increase abnormally, often after repeated infections. Coughing, with massive quantities of mucus, is the primary symptom of bronchiectasis.
- Lymphangioleiomyomatosis (LAM): A uncommon situation during which cysts kind all through the lungs, inflicting respiration issues much like emphysema. LAM happens virtually completely in ladies of childbearing age.
- Cystic fibrosis: A genetic situation during which mucus doesn’t clear simply from the airways. The surplus mucus causes repeated episodes of bronchitis and pneumonia all through life.
- Interstitial lung illness: A set of situations during which the interstitium (lining between the air sacs) turns into diseased. Fibrosis (scarring) of the interstitium finally outcomes, if the method cannot be stopped.
- Lung most cancers: Most cancers could have an effect on virtually any a part of the lung. Most lung most cancers is brought on by smoking.
- Tuberculosis: A slowly progressive pneumonia brought on by the micro organism Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Continual cough, fever, weight reduction, and night time sweats are widespread signs of tuberculosis.
- Acute respiratory misery syndrome (ARDS): Extreme, sudden harm to the lungs brought on by a critical sickness. Life help with mechanical air flow is often wanted to outlive till the lungs recuperate.
- Coccidioidomycosis: A pneumonia brought on by Coccidioides, a fungus discovered within the soil within the southwestern U.S. Most individuals expertise no signs, or a flu-like sickness with full restoration.
- Histoplasmosis: An an infection brought on by inhaling Histoplasma capsulatum, a fungus discovered within the soil within the jap and central U.S. Most Histoplasma pneumonias are gentle, inflicting solely a short-lived cough and flu-like signs.
- Hypersensitivity pneumonitis (allergic alveolitis): Inhaled mud and different substances trigger an allergic response within the lungs. Often this happens in farmers or others who work with dried, dusty plant materials.
- Influenza (flu): An an infection by a number of flu viruses causes fever, physique aches, and coughing lasting every week or extra. Influenza can progress to life-threatening pneumonia, particularly in older individuals with medical issues.
- Mesothelioma: A uncommon type of most cancers that types from the cells lining numerous organs of the physique with the lungs being the most typical. Mesothelioma tends to emerge a number of a long time after asbestos publicity.
- Pertussis (whooping cough): A extremely contagious an infection of the airways (bronchi) by Bordetella pertussis, inflicting persistent cough. A booster vaccine (Tdap) is advisable for adolescents and adults to stop pertussis.
- Pulmonary hypertension: Many situations can result in hypertension within the arteries main from the center to the lungs. If no trigger could be recognized, the situation is named idiopathic pulmonary arterial hypertension.
- Pulmonary embolism: A blood clot (often from a vein within the leg) could break off and journey to the center, which pumps the clot (embolus) into the lungs. Sudden shortness of breath is the most typical symptom of a pulmonary embolism.
- Extreme acute respiratory syndrome (SARS): A extreme pneumonia brought on by a selected virus first found in Asia in 2002. Worldwide prevention measures appear to have managed SARS, which has brought on no deaths within the U.S.
- SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19: The coronavirus that led to a worldwide pandemic starting in 2019 can result in pneumonia that impacts each lungs, filling them with fluid and making it tough to breathe. COVID-19 can result in long-term lung injury and different respiratory situations akin to acute respiratory misery syndrome.
- Pneumothorax: Air within the chest; it happens when air enters the world across the lung (the pleural area) abnormally. Pneumothorax could be brought on by an harm or could occur spontaneously.