What Does Anna Imply?
Are you searching for a historically female identify that’s persistently widespread within the English-speaking world and past? Anna may be the identify you might be searching for.
The identify Anna involves us from the Hebrew phrase חַנָּה (Ḥannāh or Chanah), which means “grace” or “favor.” The traditional Romans additionally used Anna as a reputation which means “the 12 months’s cycle.”
- Origin: When the Outdated Testomony was translated from Hebrew into Greek, the identify Hannah was rendered as Ἄννα (Hanna), which was then Latinized as Anna.
- Gender: Anna is historically a female identify. Whereas boys have been named Anna, it’s comparatively uncommon.
- Pronunciation: ANN-a
Though child names are sometimes separated by gender, Verywell Household believes that intercourse needn’t play any function in your identify choice course of. It’s essential to pick the identify that you just really feel most accurately fits your new child.
How Standard Is the Identify Anna?
Anna has persistently ranked among the many prime 100 child names for ladies in America since 1972, peaking at No. 19 within the 12 months 2001. The most recent statistics present Anna because the No. 68 woman’s identify within the U.S.
The identify was much more widespread a century in the past, rating among the many prime 10 woman names in America from 1880 to 1920. From 1880 to 1899, Anna was the second hottest identify for ladies within the U.S., the preferred being Mary. Anna dipped in reputation within the Fifties and 60s however rose once more within the 70s and 80s.
The identify Anna was sometimes used for boys within the early a part of the twentieth century, however from 1930 to the current this has been fairly unusual. Though the identify Anna is usually used as a woman identify, it may be used any manner you see match, as intercourse doesn’t need to be part of your identify choice course of.
The identify Anne was initially a French model of Anna, and Ann an English spelling of Anne, however all three of those are actually extensively used within the English-speaking world. Additionally quite common is the Spanish and Portuguese spelling Ana.
Another frequent kinds:
- Anča (Romanian)
- Ance (Latvian)
- Anci (Hungarian)
- Ane (Danish)
- Ania (Russian)
- Anni (Swedish)
- Annu (Finnish)
- Anouk (Dutch)
- Chanah (Hebrew)
- Hajna (Hungarian)
- Hana (Czech)
- Hania (Polish)
- Hanna (German)
Many names have additionally developed primarily based on diminutive types of Anna/Ana, together with:
- Anita (Spanish)
- Anja (Danish)
- Anka (Russian)
- Annetta (Italian)
- Annette (French)
- Annie (English)
- Annika (Swedish)
Anna has additionally been mashed up or mixed with different names, both with Anna/Ana firstly (Anabel/Anabelle/Annabelle, Annalee/Annaleigh, Ana Maria/Annemarie) or on the finish (Julianna/Julianne, Mariana/Marianne/Maryanne, Pollyanna/Pollyanne, Rosanna/Roseanne).
Extra basic, historically female names:
Extra woman names beginning with A:
Recommended Sibling Names
Potential names to pair with Anna are:
Well-known Folks Named Anna
As a preferred identify, Anna is frequent amongst well-known figures.
- Anna of Hohenstaufen (1230–1307), Empress of Nicaea
- Anna of Austria (1528–1590), daughter of Ferdinand I, Holy Roman Emperor
- Anna of Austria, Queen of Spain (1549–1580), Queen consort of Spain, spouse of Philip II
- Anne of Austria, Queen of Poland (1573–1598), Queen consort of Poland and Sweden, spouse of Sigismund III Vasa
- Anna of Tyrol (1585–1618), Holy Roman Empress
- Anna de’ Medici, Archduchess of Austria (1616–1676), Italian noble, Austrian royal consort
- Anna of Russia (1693–1740), Empress of Russia
- Anna Pavlovna of Russia (1795–1865), Queen consort of the Netherlands, spouse of William II
- Anna Mae Bullock, American singer higher generally known as Tina Turner
- Anna Faris, American actress identified for starring within the “Scary Film” movie collection
- Anna Freud (1895–1982), English psychoanalyst, the daughter of Sigmund Freud
- Anna Gardner (1816–1901), American abolitionist, instructor, and poet
- Anna Kendrick, American movie and stage actress identified for her roles within the “Twilight” and “Pitch Good” movie collection
- Anna Kournikova, Russian tennis participant
- Anna Harriette Leonowens (1831–1915), English journey author and educator whose memoir was the premise for the musical “The King and I”
- Anna Margaret Collins, American singer-songwriter and actress identified for her work on the soundtrack for the Disney Channel film “Starstruck”
- Anna Paquin, Canadian-born New Zealand actress identified for her roles within the “X-Males” movie collection and the HBO TV collection “True Blood”
- Anna Rutgers van der Loeff (1910–1990), Dutch author, writer of the novels “Youngsters on the Oregon Path” and “Avalanche!”
- Anna Schwartz (1915–2012), American economist and author who labored on the Nationwide Bureau of Financial Analysis and contributed to “The New York Occasions”
- Anna Nicole Smith (1967–2007), American mannequin and actress who was the topic of the truth program “The Anna Nicole Present”
- Anna Smart, Grammy Award-winning American singer identified for her collaboration with rapper Kendrick Lamar
- Anna, the sister of Queen Dido in Vergil’s “Aeneid”
- Anna, Princess of Arendelle, a predominant character in Disney’s “Frozen” movie collection
- Anna Karenina, the title character in an 1878 novel by Leo Tolstoy
Extra Child Names
Nonetheless trying to find the right child identify? Try these associated child identify lists for much more choices:
Social Safety Administration. Standard Child Names.
Thanks on your suggestions!
What’s your suggestions?